Alexandria Goodyear: Diptera
Specimen #: 5
Date of Collection: August, 2018
Location: 34.0570° N, 84.0518° W
Rank Abundance: 5
Shannon- Weiner Biodiversity Index (H')= 3.357381651
Distinguishing Morphological Features:
- Diptera only have forward wings, hindwing are knob-like halteres.
- Large eyes.
- Specimen has sucking mouthparts.
- Five segmented tarsi
Ecological and Economic / Public Importance:
- In the larval form diptera are excellent indicators of aquatic environmental health
- Some species of diptera are pollinators
- Some species provide vital decomposition services for organic matter