Anthony Davis: Diptera
Location of collection: N34.054,W-83.877 Date of collection: August 27 2018
Collectors: AJ, Priya, Shazia and Blessing
Shannon-Wiener Index of Biodiversity: H'= 3.284025321
Rank Abundance: 1
Taxonomic information: Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Arthropoda Class: Insecta Order: Diptera Family: Pipunculidae Geographical Distribution: all biogeographical regions of the world
Distinguishing morphological features of Family:
▪ Body: A slender body with long legs and relatively long antennae with many segments of similar shape and size.
▪ Mouthparts: varies; sucking mouthparts, sometimes adapted for piercing
▪ Antennae: filiform, stylate, or aristate
▪ Tarsi: nearly always 5 segmented.
▪ Eyes: Usually large.
▪ Wings: only front winds developed, hind wings are reduced to knob-like halteres
Ecological importance: occupy a wide range of habitats including, swamps and marshes and decaying plant material