Cjenkins:Reporting Technical Difficulties
Reporting Technical Difficulties
Anytime you work with technology, there are certain to be technical difficulties from time to time. Follow this guide in emailing your professor about the technical difficulties.
- Only send the email from your GGC email account.
- Describe in detail what did to encounter the technical difficulties.
- In text describe the process that lead to the problem. This should be specific enough that the problem can be recreated if possible.
- Include at least 2 screenshots - one before the technical difficulty occurs, and one showing the technical difficulty.
- Describe what you did to try to solve the technical difficulty.
- If this is a GGC specific technology, submit a help desk request and forward the contents of the request to your professor. Otherwise follow the steps below.
- Do a web search about the error message you receive.
- Visit at least two of the web sites that you think could be helpful.
- Describe the search you did and include the two links to the website you thought would help you solve your problem.
- Ask for help and/or accommodation by putting a question in the email describing what you would like done.
Good Example of Student Email
Subject: Technical Difficulty in Class Y
From: Diligent Student <email@example.com>
Dear Dr. X:
I tried to download the file in the link you sent but had some technical difficulties. I clicked on the link from the email you sent (http://www.ggc.usg.edu/YourAssignment.doc) and it opened up Firefox and said:
The requested URL /YourAssignment.doc was not found on this server. Apache/2.0.53 (Unix) PHP/5.0.5 Server at www.ggc.usg.edu Port 80
The attached screenshots show what it looked like before and after the error.
I looked up 'Not Found' on the web and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/404_error), but the information there was too technical for me to understand. The Google 'Not Found' site was more helpful (http://www.google.com/tisp/notfound.html), but it said something about the 'Grand Unifying Theory of physics' which was confusing.
I'm sorry that I won't be able to turn in the assignment on time because of these technical difficulties I have described. Could you help me fix this problem after class on Wednesday and allow me to turn in the assignment late?
Bad Example of Student Email
From: Hungy Student <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I tried the link but it didn't work. What's wrong?
Professor Response to Good Email
Thanks for alerting me. I just forgot to upload the file. This problem has now been fixed and you should be able to get the assignment. You can certainly turn in the assignment by Wednesday with no penalty.
Professor Response to Bad Email
none - either it was spam filtered because of no subject line, and even if it wasn't, who was it from and what did it refer to?
Please see Reporting Technical Difficulties.