Cole Hembree - Diptera
Specimen #: 18
Date of Collection: August 23rd, 2018
Location: Environmental Heritage Center - Upstream
Coordinates: 34°03'35.2"N 84°00'08.8"W
Species Abundance: 13
Rank Abundance: 2
Shannon-Wiener "H" Value: 3.325647567
Distinguishing Morphological Features:
- Reduced hind wings that are termed "halteres" that help in balancing organs during flight.
- Enlarged mesothorax to contain larger flight muscles.
- Dipteran pupae have non-functional mandibles.
Ecological and Economic / Public Importance:
- Diptera larvae are know to be key identifiers of water quality within an ecosystem.
- Pollinators of many plants that traditional bees do not actively seek out or pollinate.
- Though negative, diptera are prone to carrying/transmitting disease from one organism to another.