FA17S2 Operating Systems
- There are two Types of Software:
- System Software- operates hardware, is a platform for application software, and runs in the background so users don't directly interact with it
- Application Software- performs specific tasks, relies on system software to run, and users directly install and interact with them.
Operating systems fall under the System software category
- There are two types of System Software:
- Operating Systems- coordinates activities on the computer
- Utility Programs- performs specific tasks to manage the computer and its devices/programs
- Operating Systems(OS) are software on the hard drive that allows software and hardware to communicate
- Without an operating system, the computer is useless
What is an Operating System?
The operating system is the most important software that runs on a computer and is in charge of managing the hardware and other software of a computer or similar electronic device. Examples such as the processor memory, disk space, keypad, screen, battery and even network. It serves variety of purposes, interacts with users in more complicated ways, and keeps up with needs that change over time. The OS allows you to communicate with the computer and it coordinates the (CPU), memory and storage.
4 General Types
- Real-time operating systems
Control machinery, scientific instruments and industrial systems
- Single-user, single tasks
designed so one user can effectively perform one action at a time
- Single-user, multi-tasking
for one user to be performing multiple tasks at one time ex. Linux, Windows 8
Multiple users operating multiple systems at once ex. Linux, Windows 2000
- Processors management
allocate resources to processes, enable processes to share and exchange information, protect the resources of each process from other processes and enable synchronization among processes
- Memory management
handles or manages primary memory and moves processes back and forth between main memory and disk during execution
- Device management
managing the implementation, operation and maintenance of a physical and/or virtual device
- Storage management
provide secondary storage to back up main memory
- Application interface
A set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. Specifies how software components should interact.
- User interface
Allows a user to enter and receive information.Contains graphics and icons and is navigated via mouse.
Examples of Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows- Compatible with PC and IBM computers. This is the most common OS
- Apple Mac- Only compatible with Mac computers
- Linux- (there are also free versions of linux that can be downloaded) Compatible with PC and IBM computers
- Google Android- Compatible with android phones and tablets
- IOS- Compatible with iPhones and iPads
- Chromium- Google OS that is used with Chromebooks
Links and Bibliography
- "Chapter8: Operating Systems and Utility Programs". uwf.edu.
- Mishra, Neeraj. "Difference Between System Software and Application Software". The Crazy Programmer.
- (Sept. 2017) "Operating Systems". Computer Hope.