FA17S2 Utility Applications
Utility Applications Introduction
Wikipedia describes Utility Applications software specifically designed to help manage and tune the computer hardware, operating system or application software.
Designed to to help analyze, configure, optimize or maintain a computer, utility software is critical to both Mac And Windows operating systems as they perform maintenance type tasks including disk clean up, file management, file search, system restore and backup.
Varieties of Utility Applications
- Anti Virus Software or Anti Malware Software is a computer application that allows the user to identify, prevent, and remove viruses. They may be downloaded for free or the user may choose to purchase the application for a fee. The difference between free and fee based software is not usually the performance but the access to different features.
- Functions and Components
Multiple layers of computer protection allows for defense which combined with a fast detection rate may save your computer.Modern Antivirus Software has adapted to the needs of the user and now applications defend against ransomeware, keystroke loggers, backdoors, worms and trojan horses to name a few.The detection of virus signatures is the main way Anti Malware applications operate. The Virus signature is the software code that can be detected and used to identify a particular type of computer virus. The other strategies for identification include signature based and heuristic based. The information in the textbook adds behavioral detection and cloud-based detection while Wikipedia adds rootkit detection and real time protection.
- Signature Based- Once a virus is scanned and brought to the attention of the software it is analysed. If the virus is confirmed malware the signature is added to the antivirus software to help gather information about other viruses.
- Heuristic Based-Many viruses through mutations change their strain, these are called variants. The Heuristic form of detection allows for a generic detection of viruses as they still share commonalities even between themselves.
- Rootkit Based- Anti malware Software can help detect rootkits. As we learned in the chapter slides rootkits are difficult to deal with as they try to gain high level access to documents and can change operating systems.
- Real Time Protection- While the user browses the internet, reads email, or even watches YouTube the Anti virus application is monitoring to male sure the computer is to in potential harm from the content being streamed.
- Avast provides free antivirus/ anti malware software to the public. The application provides complimentary routine scans or scheduled scans, computer reports, a detected virus chest, location of the virus, shield information, as well as an account summary. The software is available to PC, Mac, Android, Iphone/Ipad Avast
- Kasper Sky is a fee based Anti Malware application. the application provides defense to your chosen device by using file back up and encryption,secure password protection and internet safe mode while warding off spyware, phishing, and viruses. It is available in three different packages each with more features than the next. The cheapest package is $47.99 and protects 3 PCs for year. As the price goes up the number of devices protected also increases.Kasper Sky
- Back Up Software is a computer program used to create supplementary copies of files,databases, or entire computers. The programs are used to help restore data in the event that it may be corrupted,lost or infected by viruses.
- Functions and Components
There are two main purposes of Back Up software, to recover data that may have been deleted or corrupted and to recover data from an earlier time that is usually delineated in the data retention policy of the software.Back up software works on operating systems, prefaces, applications, photos,videos, music, and documents. Though back up software is a critical part of a computer recovery plan they are not a catch all and fail safe plan.the software requires vast amounts of data storage and if one intends on using they should perform trial runs to ensure their files are safe.
- Data Compression-There is a limited amount of space on a computers hard drive and a part of backing data up is heightening efficiency by compressing files. There is no information lost in compression simply removal of extra data or extra bits by the process of identifying statistical redundancy. This is useful because it limits the resources requires to store or transmit data.
- Encryption- To prevent the data from being stolen to mutated some back up software encrypts the information or offers cryptography features to the user. The encrypted data is only available to authorized parties to access and though i t does not prevent interface it prevents legible content from being viewed.
- Comodo Back Up Service offers Acronis which is free to the public. The Software allows you to manage and customize your back up to your needs. The protection is included for all types of software and will back up locally or to the cloud as well as recovering from any destination or system for all channels.Sign Up
- System Tech Back Up can be purchased at Best Buy for the price of $29.99. The software allows for the back up of one PC though there is options for Mac users as well. System Tech Back Up allows for easy one click saves, creation/ modification of secure saves, access to google drive and drop box, CD/ DVD and external hard drive entry.
- Disk Defragmenter The process used to clean up the fragmented pieces of information stored in the mass storage device into contingent regions or fragments. This application tries to free the most space available for data by compacting bits and impeding the process of fragmentation that naturally occurs within computer's.Hard drive that contain moving parts take a longer time to gather information in fragmented disks as the read/write head has to access otherfragments of information.
- Functions and Components
- Partitioning is a common method in defragmentation used to optimize and reduce fragmentation it is also sometimes called disk slicing. Managing the information separately in one or more regions allows for precision functioning. Users can use partition editors to create, resize, delete and manipulate partitions. There is two main types and it is primary and extended partition.
- Compress Old Files is a feature of the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows XP, but it does not delete files. This feature is achieved by taking files that have not been accessed for a specified number of days and compresses them to save disk space.Temporary files are stored on the hard drive. You can easily find these temporary files with the help of the.TMP extension. These temporary files are created by Windows. Temporary files are created when a Windows Session is terminated in an irregular way.
- Disk Defrag Free is complete disk defragmenter and is used by over 11.000.000 customers across the globe. The company claims it is certified to improve the user's computer as the software is a by product of auslogics approved by Microsoft Gold Application Developer. The program is free to the public and uses aspects such as through free space consolidation, single file or folder defragmentation,special algorithms for VSS-enabled drives, and customizable disk map appearance. Available for free at Auslogics
- Norton Utilities Package offers the optimization of up to three PC's. The inclusive package offers defragmentation, maintenance, digital privacy, fixing common issues, and recovering files. The company guarantees that the Applicaion will improve the computer by making it more comprehensive,healthier, all while keeping your computer more secure and private. The program is available for $49.99at Norton Utilities
- Monitoring Utility Applications Known formally as the monitoring and management of performance software applications. The software is designed to help the user detect and diagnose performance issues while monitoring maintenance to insure expected levels of service. The application uses hardware and software data to help monitor the performance of the computer. Usually the user can read the CPU usage as well as RAM and other important aspects of maintenance and performance. These applications come pre installed into the computers.
- System Information allows the access of data installed in both hardware and software to be viewed by the user.
- Task Manager Allows for limited information monitoring on computer monitoring, running applications, memory information, statistics, log in users, etc.
- Wiki Antivirus
- PC Mag
- Wiki Back Up Software
- Back Up
- Disk Partitioning
- Application Performance Managment
- System Information
- Task Manager
Section Homepage FA17-ITEC1001H-02