Introduction to Part 1
The purpose of this project is to perform a variety of modifications to a bitmap image. Once you have familiarize yourself with the tutorials below, you should be able to crop, blur, change colors, add borders, and add your signature to an image making it your own unique creation.
- Click here for a [GIMP Preview.]
As you perform each modification to your image, you must save them as you go along so you may display your progression:
- Original Image
- Blurred Image
- B&W Background Image
- Bordered Image
- Final Product with Signature Image
- Your Own Creation (peruse http://docs.gimp.org/en/filters.html to find something unique!)
This is a total of (6) Images.
- You will use a table to house the images, a (3) column x (2) row table.
- Include reflection questions at the bottom of your project page.
Tutorials of Gimp Software
The program you will be using for your project is Gimp. Gimp is a [free download-able] program for both Mac and PC. There are additional/separate patches and add-ons available for Gimp.
Example of how to touch-up portrait with GIMP Link : [how to touch-up portrait with GIMP]
However, for this project all requirements may be completed with the original install of v.2.6 Gimp. Review the tutorial links below to learn how to perform the required image modifications.
- Setting Up Gimp & Importing Image
- Image Prepping
- How To Blur
- How To Black & White
- How To Add Border & Signature
- How To Save
- Creating Your Own
- NOTE: For best quality, click on HQ button in YouTube window.
Reflection of Project:
Answer these questions with your Bitmap Project page.
- What file extensions are most common to bitmap images? Name at least 3. some of the file extensions that are commonly related to bitmap images are JPEG, PNG,GIF, and BMP.
- Are bitmap images easier to work on than vector? Why or Why not?I will say bitmap images are extremely easy to work on than vector graphics because bitmap images consist of pixels which can be manipulated by editing the various pixels while vector graphic demonstrates the images mathematically which must be operated using equations that makes it very difficult to work with.
- Why are bitmap images more common in everyday usage? Include its advantages in your answer.Bitmap images are commonly used because it enable users to create fantastic images and graphics by using the various pixels they composed. Some of the advantages of bitmap images are as follows: it helps users to create a new file from an existing pixel stored in a particular memory, and finally users can retrieve pixel stored in bitmap file by using some method which allows the data to be stored as grid.
- What were the most useful feature(s) used in GIMP that helped you with your project?I did enjoyed using the powerful scissors which really helped me by selecting most shapes using the intelligent edge and also the erasers which helped in erasing all the not needed background which made my work looks more vibrant. So I will say those two tools were quite easy to work with during my GIMP project.
Introduction to Project 1, Part 2:
This project compares the file sizes of four images : .tiff format, .png format, .jpg format bitmap files and a .svg vector graphic file.
Create the vector graphic (.svg format) file using inkscape
Create the bitmap (.jpg, .tiff, and .png format) file by rastering vector graphic into bitmap images.
Introduction to Project 1, Part 3:
create the gif animation image file using GIMP
post your .gif file in your WIKI Project 1 page
submit .xcf project file to D2L dropbox
- You may use This Template for your project page.