Lillian Karroum: Diptera
Location of collection: Environmental Heritage Center Upstream
Morphospecies ID: Diptera Species 2
Date of collection: August 27, 2018 - August 29, 2018
Shannon-Wiener Index of Biodiversity: H' = 3.898
Rank abundance: 3
Collectors: Lillian Karroum, Shelby Heller, Matt Tatz, and Juan Garcia
▪ Body: length 4-7 mm, pointed elongate abdomen
▪ Mouthparts: extended forward
• Veins: sharp upward bend in the fourth longitudinal wing vein
• Eyes: Large compound eyes
▪ Antennae: three-segmented antennae
▪ Tarsi: have chemoreceptors, organs for taste, on the tarsi of their legs
Ecological importance: They feed on plant and animal exudates.
Economic importance: They are important pests when cultivating cereals, like rice and maize.