Rhea Bowen- Smith: Coleoptera
Location of collection:
- (33°58′58.43″ N, 84°00′21.33″ W)
Date of collection:
- 09/05/2017 through 09/07/2017
- Malaise trap
- Ladybird aka "Ladybug"
Distinguishing morphological features of Family:
- Most ladybugs have oval, dome-shaped bodies with six short legs.
- Can have spots, stripes, or no markings at all depending on the species.
- As well as the usual yellow and deep red, there are coccinellidae species that are mostly, or entirely, black, dark grey, gray, or brown in color.
- Black head with white patches on both sides.
Ecological and Economic/ Public Health Importance
- Pest control for gardens, crops, and even forests.