Why a Wiki?
What is important is that everyone contributes to the wiki. There are many ways to contribute. Below are a few suggestions:
- Post content
- Organize/restructure content
- Suggest content that is needed
Wikis are an example of viral content. To quote from wikipatterns.com
- One of the most useful attributes of introducing a wiki into an organization is its viral nature. Once a few people begin to use the wiki, they often realize that they could be even more efficient if only their colleagues were using the wiki too. Soon, wiki accounts are spreading exponentially.
What this means is that the more you use and contribute to the wiki, the better a resource it will be.
Wiki In-class Activity
- Click on the link to your own page below. Cllick [Edit] to begin editing your wiki page.
- make a top heading called ALL ABOUT ME. Use the document that you wrote at the beginning of the semester, and copy/paste each of the paragraphs.
- make a sub-heading for each of the following:
All about me -- My Name
If I were a famous character...
My Accomplishments (or What Makes Me Special)
- you must upload at least one picture.
- See Dr. Pollacia's wiki page Section 5 for an example.
All About Me
I have added your names below. Simply click on your link and it's all yours!
Chapter 3 Wiki Homework Assignment
Due Date: Thursday, March 8th
Each of the following topics are discussed in Chapter 3 of Technology in Action.
- Select one of the topics to research. You may not select a topic that someone else has already completed.
- Once you have selected your topic, read about it in the book, and you may also do some research on the Internet.
- Make a list of 5 - 7 major pieces of information about that topic.
- List two examples of your topic (if appropriate).
- Include at least one graphic or picture.
- Put a title and your name at the top of the page as a heading.
- Be prepared to briefly explain your topic to the rest of the class
Click History of the Internet to see an example.
Chapter 3 Topics
You must choose an available topic (one not completed by someone else) from the following:
History of the Internet
Using Internet Email
Web 2.0 Technologies
Podcasts and Webcasts
Business startups and the Internet (p.104-105)
Online payment companies
Google what's there besides the search engine
Future of the Internet
Online Job Search