- A program for the retrieval of data, files, or documents form a database or network, like the internet.
- Results of a search could consist of web pages, images, information, and other types of files.
- First program to search the internet was called "Archie", it stood for "archive", only without the "v".
- Search engines today use a "Webcrawler" to gather information, which is a computer program that browses the web in an orderly fashion.
- Google is the most popular search engine, coming in with over 80% off the market share in 2011.
Google, Yahoo!, Ask, Bing...and many many more.