Stefany Alvarado: Orthoptera
- Order: Orthoptera
- Suborder: Caelifera
- Family: Acrididae
Date of Collection: August 27, 2018
Location of collection: George Pierce Park (upstream)
Shannon-Wiener H' Value: 2.86489530810314
Rank Abundance: 1/140
Collectors: Stefany Alvarado, Christina Garcia, Alexis Shephard, & Dell Kramer
Distinguishing Morphological feature:
- Body: 2 pair of wings. Forewings (narrower): held roof-like overlapping the abdomen. Hind wings (hardened or leathery): membranous and held folded fan-like under the forewings.
- Mouthparts: Mandibulate
- Antennae: Short to very long depending on species. Grasshoppers have relatively short antennae. Crickets and katydids have longer antennas.
- eyes: Large compound eyes
Ecological and Economic Features:
- Commonly associated with vegetation.
- Feeding on the vegetation, but can become a great issue when species numbers increase forming plagues that can cause damage and huge crop losses.