- Helps to manage, maintain and control computer resources. Operating systems typically contain the necessary tools for this, but separate utility programs can provide improved functionality. Utility software is often somewhat technical and targeted at users with a solid knowledge of computers.
- Disk Tools
- Security Software
- Backup Software
- They include a range of different tools to manage hard disk drives and other storage devices. Disk Tools are important because a failure of a hard disk drive can have serious consequences.
- Disk Defragmenters
- Disk Cleaners
- Disk Compression utilities
- Disk Checkers
- It is designed to increase access speed by rearranging files stored on a disk to occupy neighboring storage locations. Defragmenting a disk minimizes head travel, which will reduce the time it takes to read files from and write them to the disk.
- Auslogics Disk Defrag-Free
- Defraggler-Free; "Pro" for $24.95
- Diskeeper-$39.95 (up to three computers)
- PerfectDisk-Pro- 30 Day free trial; $29.99 (up to 3 PCS License); $49.99 (Total Home License)
- Helps to protect a computer system from viruses and other harmful programs. Usually bought through subscriptions and very recommended when you buy a computer.
- McAfee $19.99 monthly subscription
- Norton $19.99 monthly subscription
- Webroot $18.99 monthly subscription
Other ways to keep your computer safe from hacking and overall build on your device would be it also helps the computer run faster:
- CCleaner- -Free
- Wise Disk Cleaner- Free
- Free Disk Cleaner-Free
- Are computer programs used to perform backup; they create supplementary exact copies of files, databases or entire computers. These programs may later use the supplementary copies to restore the original contents in the event of data loss.
- They Increase the amount of information that can be stored on a hard disk drive of given size. Unlike a file compression utility which compresses only specified files, an on-the-fly disk compression utility works automatically without the user needing to be aware of its existence.
- DriverSpace- Microsoft Windows
- DiskDoubler- Macintosh
- They scan the hard disk to find files or areas that are corrupted in some way, or were not correctly saved, and eliminate them for a more efficiently operating hard drive.
- Disk Checkup-Free
- Seagate SeaTools-Free
- Disk utility. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_utility#Disk_checkers
- Hard Drive Problems. Retrieved from https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183
- Free Disk Cleaners. Retrieved from http://download.cnet.com/s/disk-cleaners/mac-free/
- Auslogics Disk Defrag. Retrieved from http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/utilities/best-disk-defragmenter-software/auslogics-disk-defrag-free-review/
- Study.com. Retrieved from http://study.com/academy/lesson/systems-software-utility-software-device-drivers-firmware-gui.html%7C