Wendy Gomez: Diptera
Location of collection: 33°05'47.12"N 84°05'27.43"W
Date of collection: 08/27/2018
Shannon-Wiener Index of Biodiversity: H' = 3.28931442
Rank abundance: 1
Collectors: Wendy Gomez, Sarah Herrera, and Johnny Martinez
Distinguishing morphological features of Family:
▪ Body: A slender body with long legs and relatively long antennae with many segments of similar shape and size.
▪ Mouthparts: varies; sucking mouthparts, sometimes adapted for piercing
▪ Antennae: filiform, stylate, or aristate
▪ Tarsi: nearly always 5 segmented.
▪ Eyes: Usually large.
▪ Wings: only front winds developed, hind wings are reduced to knob-like halteres
Ecological importance: occupy a wide range of habitats including, swamps and marshes and decaying plant material