Zainab Dada: Diptera
Specimen #: 1
Date of Collection: August 27, 2018
Location: EHC Downstream
Species Abundance: 2
Shannon-Wiener Index of Biodiversity: H'= 2.9817719
▪ Body: A slender body with long legs and relatively long antennae with many segments of similar shape and size.
▪ Mouthparts: varies; sucking mouthparts, sometimes adapted for piercing
▪ Wings: One set of wings (front); hind wings reduced (halteres)
▪ Eyes: Very Large.
▪ Antennae: filiform, stylate, or aristate
▪ Tarsi: nearly always 5-segmented
Ecological Importance: they serve many roles in the food chain as predator and prey; flies and their larvae are part of nature's cleanup crew.
Economical Importance: they have a greater economic impact on humans than any other group of insects, especially particularly that pollinate flowering plants, and assist in the decomposition of organic matter.